This month’s “Tips from the R&R Team” focuses on keeping your house germ free. Whether you are keeping the flu at bay or it’s time for some spring cleaning, these tips will help you keep your home clean and safe from germs.
- If possible, remove and hand wash the stove knobs.
- Wash the toothbrush holder and wipe with a disinfecting wipe or put it in the dishwasher if it’s dishwasher safe.
- Gather bathroom towels and bed linen. Don’t fluff or shake them, so you don’t spread germs and dust. Wash in hot water.
- Disinfect computer keyboards, light switches, telephones and remote controls with a disinfecting wipe that doesn’t contain bleach. Squeeze to remove excess moisture first. Always turn off computers before you clean them.
- Put the kitchen sink strainer in the dishwasher.
- Don’t forget your pets! Wash pet toys: For hard toys use hot, soapy water and disinfect. Rinse well before you let them dry. Wash soft toys on hot with other laundry.
- Pour a solution of 1 teaspoon bleach and 1 quart water down the kitchen sink drain to sanitize the drain and garbage disposal. Or you can pour white vinegar down the drain as well to kill germs.
- Lastly, keep cleaning products together in a pail or basket. They’re ready when you are and easy to carry from room to room.
And don’t forget to wash your hands!